Facts and Faith exists to fairly and honestly
communicate information about the Christian faith
Welcome to Facts and Faith
Evidence Of God’s Existence
Creation (Young vs. Old Earth Views)
God’s Attributes (What Is God Like)
Jesus’ Birth (Christmas)
Jesus’ Resurrection (Easter)
Is Belief In God A Reasonable Belief?
Tolerance Of Other Beliefs
Apologetics (What It Is, Why It’s Important)
There is only one good reason to believe in Christianity —
Because it is true!
For over 2,000 years, the truth claims of Christianity have withstood the most rigorous intellectual challenges. The problem isn’t that Christianity cannot stand up to intellectual challenge; the problem is that many Christians do not know how to respond to the intellectual challenges made to their faith. The essential message of Facts & Faith is that the truth claims of Christianity are not only rationally supported by scientific, philosophic and historical evidence, but that genuine Christianity offers every person a life of great meaning, hope and freedom.
Based on biblical principles, Facts & Faith seeks to fairly address issues raised by skeptics and present objective summaries of Christian truth claims, including differing points of view, so the claims of Christianity may be fairly considered and critiqued by sincere truth seekers.
“We do not use deception, nor do we distort the word of God.
On the contrary, by setting forth the truth plainly we commend ourselves
to every man’s conscience in the sight of God.”2 Corinthians 4:2
Personal TestimoniesHow God has worked in the lives of some.
Atheists Turning to Christianity
- Richard Lumsden, Ph.D – Evolutionist and Biology Professor at Tulane University
“With flesh protesting every inch of the way, I found myself walking forward, down to the altar. And there, found God!”
- Lee Strobel – Yale Law School Graduate and Legal Journalist
“[T]he New Testament is rooted in eyewitness testimony and … it passes the tests that historians routinely use to determine reliability.”
Scientists Who Believe in God
- Hugh Ross, Ph.D. — Astrophysicist
“I had proven to myself, …, that the Bible was more reliable than many of the laws of physics. My only rational option was to trust the Bible’s authority to the same degree as I trusted the laws of physics.”
God During Times of Severe Pain and Suffering
- Joni Eareckson Tada – Diving Accident Renders Her Quadriplegic at 17
“My spinal cord injury set the stage for me to be “for the praise of his glory.” And looking at everything that accident has led to? I wouldn’t change a thing.”
- Corrie ten Boom – Concentration Camp Survivor
“There is no pit so deep that the love of God is not deeper still.”
- Dick Hanson – “An Ordinary Bricklayer, a Not-So-Ordinary Man”
- James Meritt – Childhood Faith ‘Rocked’ by Atheist Professor
“The first time you come face to face with a real doubt about your faith, it really rocks us, especially if you are raised in a Christian home where you aren’t taught to question anything.”
Evidence for God's Existence“There are very good reasons to believe God exists and no good reason to believe he does not.” – William Lane Craig
INTRODUCTORY SUMMARY: The Eternally Existent, Transcendent God of the Bible is the Best Explanation for the Existence of the Universe
God’s Existence Best Explains Why Anything Exists (An Argument for the Necessity of an Uncaused First Cause)
- Why does anything exist rather than nothing?
God’s Existence Best Explains the Universe Coming into Existence (The Kalan Cosmological Argument)
The explanation that the universe was caused to come into existence by a self-existent, eternal, transcendent Creator is a more satisfying explanation than the atheist’s explanation that the universe came into existence without a cause — from nothing, by nothing and, ultimately, for nothing
God’s Existence Best Explains all the Exquisitely Fine-Tuned Features in the Universe which Scientists have Discovered Permit Life to Exist
“A commonsense interpretation of the facts suggests that a super intellect has monkeyed with physics, as well as chemistry and biology, and that there are no blind forces worth speaking about in nature. The numbers one calculates from the facts seem to me so overwhelming as to put this conclusion almost beyond question.” — Fred Hoyle (Cosmologist noted for the theory of stellar nucleosynthesis)
- The Forces of Physics are Just-Right
- The Development of the Universe was Just-Right
- The Milky Way galaxy is Just-Right
- Earth’s Solar System is Just-Right
- Planet Earth is Just-Right
Because of all the just-right qualities of Earth which permits it to support life, even secular scientists refer to Earth as the Goldie Locks Planet.
Response to Arguments Raised by Skeptics
- If God Created the Universe, Who Created God? Where Did God Come From?
“Since the God of the Bible is an eternal being who never came into existence, God is not an effect that requires a cause to explain His coming into existence”
- Does the Big Bang Eliminate the Need for a Creator; or, is it Evidence of a Transcendent Creator?”
- Does Our Vast Universe Display such ‘An Awful Waste of Space’ that it Discredits a Rational Belief in the God of the Bible?
- Is Belief in God Just an Emotional Crutch for Emotionally and Psychologically Weak People?
- What’s the Chance the Universe Came into Existence “by Chance”?
Whatever mathematical probabilities are described by chance, “chance” cannot do anything and cannot cause anything.
- Challenges Multi-Universe Theorists Face in Relying on Other Universes to Explain Design
“Multi-universe theorists are forced to make a blind bet that an infinite number of other universes actually exist, a bet that requires the laws of physics to be violated…”
- Why Aren’t Multi-Universes the Most Rational Explanation for the Design Observed in the Universe?
- Does Stephen Hawking’s Proposed ‘Imaginary Time’ Eliminate the Need for a Creator?
- Is Man’s Self-Centeredness the Reason Men Assume the Universe Was Designed?
CreationYoung vs. Old Earth Views
INTRODUCTORY SUMMARY: Young Earth or Old Earth? — An Impartial Overview of the Creation Debate
The first to plead his case seems right, until another comes and examines him — Proverbs 18:17
Examining the Details
Young Earth Creation View aka 24-Hour Day View (Arguments For and Against)
Day-Age View (Arguments For and Against)
- Do Old Earth Creation Views Compromise Scripture and Destroy the Gospel Message?
- Does the Hebrew Word ‘Yom’ (Translated “Day”) in Genesis 1 Mean a 24-Hour Day or Something Else?
- Do the “…And Was Evening and Was Morning – X Day” Phrases in Genesis 1 Compel a Young Earth View?
- How Can Creation Days 1 – 3 be Literal 24-Hour Days if the Sun Wasn’t Created Until Day 4?
God's AttributesWhat Is God Like?
INTRODUCTORY SUMMARY: God’s Attributes – What is God Like? How is He Different than Us?
God is Knowable
God is Eternal — What Does that Mean? How Does God’s Eternalness Affect Us?
“… God’s being eternal means that God exists without beginning or end. He never comes into or goes out of existence; rather His existence is permanent.” — William Lane Craig
God is Self-Existent (Transcendent)
In contrast to everything and everyone within the created order which exist “ab alio” (i.e., through another), God is self-existent and does not depend on anything outside of himself for his existence
God is Triune (One in Essence but Three in Person; One What but Three Whos)
- How Can God be Both Three and One? Is the Doctrine of the Trinity Irrational?”
- The Trinity is Not Three Parts Which Come Together to Equal One God
- If God is a Trinity, Why Isn’t the Word “Trinity” in the Bible?”
- Do the Different Religions of the World Just Describe God from Different Points of View?
INTRODUCTORY SUMMARY: The Christmas “Star” – Fact, Fiction or Miracle?
- Was Jupiter (as Part of a Series of Extraordinary Astronomical Events Occurring in 3 B.C. – 2 B.C.) the Christmas “Star?
- Was the Christmas “Star” a Comet?
- Was the Christmas “Star” a Recurring Nova?
- Was the Christmas “Star” a Meteor (Fireball)?
The Wise Men (Magi)
- Who Were the Wise Men (Magi)? Why Would they Travel to Bethlehem to Worship a Jewish King?”
- How Many Wise Men Traveled to Bethlehem? What Were Their Names?
- Did Herod Really Order the Execution of All Male Babies in Bethlehem as Reported in Matthew 2?
- Why was Herod and All Jerusalem Disturbed when the Wise Men Arrived looking for One Born King of the Jews?
Is Belief in Jesus’ Supernatural Resurrection Rational? What Evidence do Christians Rely on for Believing in Jesus’ Resurrection
“Since the case against the resurrection was no stronger than that presented by [the atheist], I would think it was time I began to take the resurrection seriously.”Judge of a Debate on the Resurrection
The Resurrection Best Explains Jesus’ After-Death Appearances to Multiple Eye-Witnesses
- The Witnesses – Who and How Many People Saw Jesus Alive after His Crucifixion?
- Are the Witness Part of a Later Developed Myth?
- Did Jesus Survive the Crucifixion, Get Out of the Tomb Alive and Subsequently Appear in a Non-Resurrected Body?
- Was a Substitute Crucified in Jesus’ Place? Did Jesus’ Ascend to Heaven as Stated in the Qur’an?
- Were the Witnesses Hallucinating?
- Were the Witnesses Lying?
- Were the Witnesses Mistaken?
- Were the Witnesses of Jesus’ Post-Death Appearances Victims of Groupthinking or Wishful Thinking?
- Did the Witnesses See Jesus in the Form of a Spirit?
- Did the Witnesses See Visions of Jesus?
- Did the Witnesses See Transmitted Images of Jesus?
The Resurrection Best Explains Jesus’ Empty Tomb
- Did Jesus get out of the Tomb Alive?
- Did Jesus’ Disciples Steal his Body?
- Did Someone Other than Jesus’ Disciples Steal Jesus’ Body?
- Did Joseph of Arimathea Move the Body?
- Did the Romans or Jewish Leaders Move the Body?
- Was Jesus’ Tomb Found Empty Because Jesus’ Body Was Never Buried and was Devoured by Scavengers?
- Did the Witnesses Go to the Wrong Tomb?
- Did Anyone Even Go to the Tomb to Find it Empty?
- Jesus’ Resurrection Best Explains Why Jesus’ Disciples were Transformed from Fearful Fleers to Faithful Followers
“The change in [the disciples’] lives from fear to faith, despair to confidence, confusion to certitude, runaway cowardice to steadfast boldness under threat and persecution, not only proves their sincerity but testifies to some powerful cause of it.”
Is Belief In God Reasonable?
- Is the Bible’s Description of God and the Existence of the Universe Consistent with the Laws of Logic?
- Is the Bible’s Description of God Consistent with the Findings of Modern-Day Science?
- Isn’t It Always More Rational to Believe a Natural Explanation Rather than a Supernatural Explanation (Occam’s Razor)?
“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.”- Albert Einstein
Tolerance Of Other Beliefs
- Can Christianity be True for Some People but Not Others? Is Truth Relative?
The great glory and strength of pluralism is that it compels the holder of any belief to measure its truthfulness against alternative interpretations. The great hazard of pluralism is the faulty deduction that, in the name of tolerance, all beliefs can be equally true.- Ravi Zacharias
- The Pro-Life vs. Pro-Choice Debate
ApologeticsWhat Is It?
- What is it Apologetics?
- Why Apologetics is Crucial for Christians Living in Today’s Pluralistic and Increasingly Godless Society?
Christians now have the benefit of over 2,000 years of intellectual investigation and reflection by very well-respected scientists, philosophers and theologians. It is simply unwise for Christians to fail to educate themselves and their children about the rational foundations of the Christian faith.
- Engaging in the Intellectual War being Waged Against Christianity on College Campuses